Sunday, April 29, 2007

We've only just begun - or - Where do I begin...

Or, rather - where should I re-begin, this task of updating that which exists in, and adding the third act to, "Gamera vs. All Mankind"? I have set myself the task of finishing it in time for an August / September 2007 release, to be viewed publicly at a local art film show. The final date is yet to be determined at this time, but as I was able to pull together the first two acts in 1 1/2 months last year gives me a good idea of what I can do in the upcoming four. Mind you, the first two are in a rough state, but pretty far along, and as there WON'T be any script changes with what has already been laid out (p-p-p-p-p-please!), I have much confidence. With a capital "C".

Them's that've seen it have been of mixed opinion as to the state of the digitized vocals - some say "yeah", some say "nay" - but all agree that they cannot be understood without the cliffnotes. This online primer exists not only to help one gain a better grasp on the myriad twists and turns of the complex plot, but they also make clear that which is sung, as these cliffnotes are also the complete script, sans third act.

Yes, the script is a necessity, and I thank my brother for always having the genius to intelligently entertain, and entertain well. Also, I would not have known what to compose/draw/animate had he not written this great script. As excited as I was to take on this fun challenge, my main reason to jump into the project was for the music, and along with appending the visual s, the music will be updated in the next couple of months with surprise vocal appearances from several friends in order to make things more presentable. Let's face reality here: not everyone who watches a 7 minute animation wants to read along with a script. I know, I've gathered that much feedback, at least.

Oh, music. Yes, music.

I do love to make music, and this blog being both my sounding board and concert auditorium, I wanted to present the non-vocalized versions of the animated compositions.

Yes, the music was a delight to compose. I started imagining the melody lines while at work with either my uke or melodica, depending on which I carried with me that day. Within a couple of days I had some pert near sketches down, and started laying them into Melody Assistant, all the while experimenting with the vocal features on this fine software - check out the above link, you'll probably like the software they make just fine. And it is French. And it is Inexpensive.

From the starting gate, "Opening Theme" and "Morimoto's News" were the first sketches out, but "Toshio's Lament" made it to the finish line first, barely pulling ahead of the "Opening Theme" around the last curve, and in the last 150 feet of the race. He will go next week to the finals at Steinway Fields (forever?).





"Takada's Toccata" came through next as a final composition, garnishing a spot in the Winner's Circle.




"Hasigawa and Rainbow Love Theme" got the bronze, but was (and still is) my favorite to win. Maybe the theme of "love" captured mine own heartstrings, as I composed it. Yes, I definitely put more of myself into this one. And then I had to clean up. Yuck.





To the rest? Later, alligator....