Thursday, December 11, 2008

Split My Skull


Fire eyed sun god shining through the shadows
crazy tongue speaking and drooling from his lava lips
Some blood brother secret centennial choice
to prove this dude happy say they gonna have to do me in

I got a chance now to save my folks
local yokel turns hero by giving up the ghost
Split my skull on the altar rock
and the sun god gonna let the clock groove on and on

I was a farm boy back then, now a present day, big city man
cause the high priest sent for me said I was meant to be key to the plan
but doubt my heart shouts out and I can picture the flames
and the knife-like sun god teeth and my feet start stepping away

I got a chance now the save my hide
local yokel turns yellow sacrifice denied
I yell don't ya crack my shell, don't ya spill my yolk
the church preaches hell just to control you folks

Half second huddle decision decided
priest thinks what he thunk but I override it
I'm running down the stairs at a high speed pace
looking at the frown on the high priest's face

Priest yells freeze I can't help but heed to his call
I fall knees to the ground get dragged to the altar
He's the one with the sun power you understand if yer
antennae were connected to the greater granduer
gonna split my skull on the alter rock
and the sun god gonna let the clock groove on and on

knees go wobbly neck goes slack
got me drinking a drug from a skin like sack
starburst alchemy and ancient rite
switches me around from night to light

Here come the sealer the big ole' kiss
I'm on the road encoded born to deal with this
My soul is yours fiddle as you will
you want another hundred years, take the kill

Crowd gets tense beyond my ken
taking me back to the beginning to begin again
Fire eyed sun god scraping through the shadows
crazy tongue speaking speaking drooling from his granite grin
they gonna split my skull on the altar rock
and the sun god gonna let the clock groove on and on


Music and Lyrics Copyright 2009 Mark Allen Johnson

2 comments:

Rik Tod Johnson said...

Brother,

I must admit I missed this one somehow when you placed it up (though I had heard the two surrounding it).

Wow. Maybe my favorite set of your lyrics yet (and I love the use of "groove on" in the closing line of the chorus).

Is this the product of all your Mexico-tripping?

Mark Otis said...

you know, just listening to this one again, and realizing that I was trying to create a Steely Dan song when I wrote it. Of course I never get a funky as the major dudes, by I feel the lyrics a bit of the sophistication, and am proud of 'em for that.