Saturday, March 15, 2008

MONSTER ON THE LOOSE!!!

Promised Brother Rik I would get this one online before we left for Hawaii. Based upon the chorus, which also happens to be the title, of a song my brothers and I sang as kids. I came up with my own lyrics, not knowing that some had been saved by Rik, for posterity's sake. I still have not seen the words for his/our earlier version. Did we write that one all together?

Listen carefully for the fabulous scrapings of my musical saw.

Next up: "I'm an elf"!



LYRICS:

"Last night a crack in the sky
a meteor was thrown to the ground
opened wide, I wondered why, inside
there was nothing to be found

eleven foot tall and hairy
drags blood stained knuckles on the ground

There's a monster on the loose

Some say he looks like the science teacher
others say he's looking like the newest kid
I am saying he looks just like that
new guy downtown
you know the one with the sideways eye-way shift

Long fangs and low bangs
make his head look like a face of teeth

There's a monster on the loose

Got someone down by the record store
got someone down by the old millstream
got down and took out the whole damn mall
(Can you repeat that last act? A little bit of community service work can look mighty good on your record)

Styling in his patented plimsolls
howling his trademark howl

There's a monster on the loose"

copyright 2008 Mark Allen Johnson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

Cool sawing!
If you happen to be in NYC in July... maybe I'll see you at the Musical Saw Festival (www.SawLady.com/musicalsawfestival.htm )?

All the best,

Saw Lady
www.SawLady.com/blog

Rik Tod Johnson said...

I believe that I came up with the first Monster on the Loose as a followup to I'm an Elf and The Anaconda. (I was flush with songwriting success in those days...)

You and Chris and I used to sit around the playroom at Mrs. B's and play the song on the toy instruments and coffee cans in there, and then blind Patrick would wail over the top of our own singing the whole time. Sometimes he would sing "Monnnnster on the Loooooooose!" all day long, even without us playing. (He died a while back, did you know that?)